Welcome to Seattle Babywearers (SBW)! In order to become a “member” of our organization, and continue to be a member in good standing, you must fill out a membership application and agreement, and pay annual dues (tax-deductible). We hope that you will attend and participate not only in our regular meetings, but in our Facebook community as well.
Membership dues are used to provide education and support to parents and caregivers who wish to babywear, and otherwise to promote babywearing. Expenditures may include the publication of brochures and other informational or publicity materials, fees for hosting a “booth” or table at public events, purchasing baby carriers for library and teaching purposes, administrative costs such as postage and web hosting fees, and other items as determined by the directors. All of the directors and officers of SBW are volunteers who receive no compensation for their services. (Additional donations, of money or of baby carriers suitable for library use, are always welcome!)
Membership is not required in order to attend meetings; however, membership allows you access to our group’s carrier lending library, which can be a great way to try something new or borrow something for a vacation or other special occasion.
From time to time, we may also offer special discounts on the purchase of baby carriers, or other products of interest to the parents/caregivers of young children, to members only. You will be entitled to any and all membership benefits offered to SBW members.
I understand that Seattle Babywearers educators and group leaders are volunteers and are not professionals. I affirm that I am not acting in reliance on any advice received from them and that, instead, I am responsible for evaluating the usefulness and safety of any babywearing technique or device that I use with my baby. I understand that neither Seattle Babywearers nor its educators can inspect every sling in the lending library for flaws, and I agree to inspect the stitching and materials of any sling that I borrow to assure that it is sound. I affirm that I will hold Seattle Babywearers and its group leaders and volunteers harmless of and from any claim or cause of action whatsoever arising from any injury to myself or my child related to or caused in any way by babywearing.
I understand that babywearing has many benefits but is not without risk, and that the risks include, but are not limited to, falls (either while putting the baby into the carrier or while using the carrier), positional asphyxia (if a baby is held in a position that closes his or her airway), and physical strain for the person carrying the baby. I understand that it is my responsibility to ensure that my baby’s airway is open and unobstructed, and that it is my responsibility not to drop my baby. I understand that I am responsible for my own well being and my baby’s while babywearing.
Lending Library access is a service granted as a benefit of Seattle Babywearers members in good standing. It is not an item rental and should not be considered as such. Please read and agree to abide by the following:
- Safety: You assume the responsibility for safely using all carriers and for inspecting the stitching and fabric on all carriers to satisfy yourself that the carrier is sound and suitable for use with your child, and you assume the risk of using a carrier. Each time you borrow a carrier, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Seattle Babywearers, its leaders and members, for any harm that may result to you or your child from the use of the carrier.
- Duration: Checkout is for one quarter only. If you cannot return the item at the next month’s meeting in the same location (North Seattle, Bellevue, Renton, or the weekend meeting) as the one you checked your item out from, please return it to a leader in person before the meeting. You must bring it to a leader; leaders are not responsible for coming to you. If you chose to have a third party return it to a leader or a meeting, please arrange that on your own. Leaders will not be responsible for third party returns. Posting in the Facebook group can often be a good way to connect with someone near you, but all responsibility for the carrier belongs to the borrower until it’s in a leader’s hands. Mailing carriers back to the group librarian is also acceptable; please contact a leader for more information.
- Late Fee Policy: Any carrier returned after the meeting when due is subject to a $5 late fee plus $1 for each day late. Fees must be paid before the member can check out another carrier. We recognize that unforeseen circumstances do arise and sometimes people can’t make it to a meeting they planned to attend, but a late return means that carrier is not available for others to try or borrow, which is a serious problem for our group. Late fees are not rent, and do not entitle you to keep a carrier beyond the due date.
- Cleanliness: Please return all carriers in such a condition that they are ready for the next person to check out. This means the carrier should be reasonably clean and neatly folded. This does not mean you necessarily have to wash the carrier. If it is not dirty, you do not have to wash it. If it is dirty, please contact a leader for washing instructions.
- Smoke and Pet Damage: Do not expose a carrier to tobacco smoke or tobacco smoke residue. Do not use a carrier where people are smoking, and do not store a carrier in a place where there is tobacco smoke residue, such as in a car where someone smokes. Similarly, please keep pets away from lending library carriers. Any carrier returned requiring special cleaning due to smoke or pet hair/damage will be assessed an additional cleaning fee.
- Irreparable Damage: Please treat the carriers with respect. If you ruin a carrier, you are responsible for paying the actual replacement cost of the carrier, at new retail value, including shipping. Using fabric softener or bleach on a carrier will be considered ruined. Replacement or repair determination is at the sole discretion of the leaders. If a carrier is damaged, and can be repaired, you will be charged for any necessary repairs. Please never try to repair damage you have done to a carrier.
- Checkout Procedure: Carriers must be checked out and checked in with a volunteer. Our carriers are used during meetings for teaching and may be checked out after the first hour. To claim a carrier for checkout before checkouts are allowed and still enable others to try it on, you may label the carrier with your name on tape provided at the meeting.
Lending Library access is granted only to members in good standing, meaning that all carriers have been returned in appropriate condition and all fines paid. If Seattle Babywearers leaders must go to excess lengths to recover a carrier from any borrower, that borrower’s ability to remain a member in good standing will be jeopardized. Repeated late returns may jeopardize a borrower’s good standing and ability to borrow carriers.